Design & Technology
The mission of the Study Area is to develop to the highest standards the pupils design and technology capability through combining their Designing and Making skills with Knowledge and understanding in order to make products.
The Design & Technology department includes the three main areas of study Food Technology, Product Design and Graphic Products. The experienced staff are committed to developing the needs of individual pupils to adapt to the challenge of an ever evolving world.
Students undertake focused tasks that develop knowledge, skills and understanding and engage in design and make assignments in different contexts.
All pupils will experience lessons in Product Design, Food Technology and Graphic Products throughout KS3. At KS4 & 5 we offer both GCSE and A Level in Product Design.
Key Stage 3
Students learn about a wide range of topics and develop their skills and understanding of these whilst undertaking projects in different material areas. All students are assessed against the following key criteria whilst completing the various projects taught:
- Research and Analysis – Students’ ability to carry out research and analyse their findings
- Specification – Students’ ability to create a set of criteria that their product must meet
- Design and Develop – Students’ ability to generate a range of ideas and test them out and improve them
- Plan and Make – Student’s ability to plan the making of their product and demonstrate their skills making it
- Evaluate – Students’ ability to evaluate their work and the work of others
Key Stage 4
Design and Technology (OCR)
This course will prepare learners to become creative and critical thinkers, developing skills to design and deliver prototypes that solve real and relevant problems.
Students will develop and understanding of:
- The concepts of innovation and iterative design,
- the process of “explore > create > evaluate”
This course will prepare them for careers as creative designers, engineers and knowledgeable consumers.
Food preparation and nutrition (AQA)
This exciting and creative course focuses on practical cooking skills to ensure students develop a thorough understanding of nutrition, food provenance and the working characteristics of food materials. Students will nurture their practical cookery skills to give them a strong understanding of nutrition. Food preparation skills are integrated into five core topics:
- Food, nutrition and health
- Food science
- Food safety
- Food choice
- Food provenance.
Key stage 5
Design and Technology (OCR)
This is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. This course provides authentic practice, giving students an insight into the way that creative, engineering and/ or manufacturing industries function. Students will be required to apply mathematical and scientific knowledge, understanding and skills and reflects the importance of Design and Technology as a pivotal STEM subject.