16-19 Bursary Fund Policy
The following information applies to students aged 16 to 18 on 31 August who are taking a full time (min 15 hours/week) further education course at Roundwood Park School.
The 16-19 Bursary Fund is organised and administered by the school.
Click here to download the Bursary Application Form
Full time students will be eligible to receive a guaranteed £1200 bursary if they are in one of the following categories:
- Students in care (‘Looked after’)
- Care leavers
- Students in receipt of income support in their own right
- Disabled students in receipt of both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance.
Written evidence of eligibility will be required. Any relevant change of circumstances must be declared immediately. Failure to do so will result in a withdrawal of the bursary.
Discretionary Bursaries may be either funds or assistance for specific educational needs such as transport, study books, meals, equipment and educational trips. The value awarded to each eligible student will not exceed £800 in any one academic year.
Qualification criteria for Discretionary bursary
Any student in Yr 12 or 13 who is registered for Free School Meals will automatically qualify for a bursary if they demonstrate a need (e.g.travel costs, trips, books).
Other students can apply for a bursary if they are able to demonstrate that they are experiencing financial hardship and need help with specific costs of study.
Written evidence of benefits will be required. Any relevant change of circumstances must be declared immediately. Failure to do so will result in a withdrawal of the bursary.
- Students invited to apply for bursary funding at the start of the Autumn term.
- A deadline for applications will be set two weeks later.
- Application forms checked and decisions made
- Any relevant change of circumstances must be declared immediately. Failure to do so may result in a withdrawal of the bursary.
Application for one-off help with expenses (e.g. a school trip) can be made at any time.
Payment to students
- GUARANTEED BURSARY £1200 per award
- £200 paid immediately.
5 further payments of £200 made at the start of each subsequent Half Term contingent on the student achieving the agreed level of 100% attendance (no unauthorised or unexplained absences). Payment may also be contingent on all work up to date and of an acceptable standard. All payment will be made directly into the student’s own bank account.
- 1/6th agreed bursary paid immediately.
- 5 further payments of 1/6th made at the start of each subsequent Half Term contingent on the student achieving the agreed level of 100% attendance (no unauthorised or unexplained absences) All payment will be made directly into the student’s own bank account.
Where a one-off bursary has been agreed the amount will be paid in one payment. The payment will normally be made directly to the provider of the required goods or services.
Allocation of Fund
5% of the total financial fund will be held in reserve for administrative costs. Once the Guaranteed Bursaries are allocated, the remaining funds are divided by the number of successful applicants plus one (this money will be kept in reserve)
Appeals against any decisions should be made in writing to Head of Sixth Form. Appeals against payment decisions must be lodged within one week of the decision letter being received.