Harpenden Secondary Schools Trust
The Harpenden Secondary Schools Trust comprises of Roundwood Park, Sir John Lawes, St George’s, Katherine Warington, University of Hertfordshire and Rothamsted Research.
The Trust was originally formed in 2011 by Roundwood Park and Sir John Lawes schools in partnership with University of Hertfordshire and Rothamsted Research. St George’s School joined the Trust in 2013, followed by Katherine Warington School in 2019. All four Harpenden secondary schools are represented within the Trust ensuring it has the widest possible impact for Harpenden students.
The Trust’s main objectives are to enable member organisations to:
- Share facilities
- Provide additional opportunities for students
- Combine and develop expertise
- Consult on continual improvement
- Mutually benefit the participating institutions and the Harpenden Community
- Have a collegiate and supportive approach to education
Since its formation there have been many benefits and successful events:
- Cross school Inset days
- Drug Awareness event for parents at Rothamsted Conference Centre
- Joint STEM day attended by local MP Bim Afolami
- TEDx Conference on the environment
- School student exchange
- Local debating competition
- Careers Fair
- Teacher and student visits to the University of Hertfordshire
- Joint school ECO council group
- Mentoring programmes across all organisations
- Student attendance at Rothamsted’s ‘Fascination of Plants Day’
- Work experience at Rothamsted Research
The Trust initiated the formation of the Harpenden Secondary Education Trust which went on to sponsor the new school, Katherine Warington School.
During the spring of 2020 the four schools came together to provide educational provision for key worker children during the national lockdown.