The information below – along with a visit to our dedicated Sixth Form section of the website – will give you a good overview of our curriculum in KS5 here at Roundwood Park School
The Key Stage 5 Curriculum (Years 12 & 13)
Please note that a separate handbook issued to students in Year 11 covers all of the below information in detail. Further information can also be found in our 6th Form section.
Students entering the Sixth Form usually choose to study 3 A Levels / BTEC qualifications. Exceptionally, some students may choose 4 subjects (e.g. further mathematics). Predicted Average Points Score (APS) per subject at GCSE is used as a guideline
|Average Point Score||Programme of Study|
|5+||3 or 4 A level courses with at least a grade 6 in the subjects relevant to their A Level choices|
|4.5-4.9||We recommend a mixture of BTEC and A Level courses|
|4.0-4.5||We recommend a BTEC programme of study|
Each A Level subject is delivered in 5 x 1 hour lessons per week in one year and 4 x 1 hour lessons per week in the other. Subject Leaders may choose which year group has the most delivery time according to the needs of their subject.
All students in Year 12 will attend 6th form study lessons. They will have a choice from:
- An Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) – which is a qualification taken by some students in England and Wales, equivalent to 50% of an A Level. They are part of level three of the National Qualifications Framework.
- A Community Sports Leaders Award (CSLA)
- A Certificate in Financial studies (LIBF)
- Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCS)
- Level 3 Mathematical studies (Core Maths) – this will support those who wish to continue with their study of Maths but do not wish to undertake A level Maths
Students also have one hour of Future Options (Careers) each week from September through to December. From September to Easter students in Year 12 have one PE lesson each week.
The choice of subjects are as follows: