Research your ideas and find out more information.
Use the websites below to look at jobs profiles, research what industry sectors are doing including routes in and salaries and much more.
www.ychertfordshire.org – click on ‘Jobs and Careers’
www.nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk – great for searching job profiles and finding out about industry sectors
www.gov.uk – you can search sections for ‘careers’ and ‘apprenticeships’.
www.prospects.ac.uk – this website is for students who are thinking about studying higher level qualifications. You can take a quiz to find our more about yourself or you can have a look under ‘careers’ and then ‘what can I do with my degree?’. You can also search under ‘jobs and work experience’ and find out more about job sectors.
Start Profile – register yourself for free. Great resources and an interests quiz.
Thinking about yourself
www.icould.com – take the ‘buzz quiz’. This is fun way to think about your personality type and natural preferences in how you like to behave. There are also fun career videos where you can listen to people talking about what it is like to do their job.
Post 18 Options with websites
Finding Work and Apprenticeships
www.findapprenticeshipservice.gov.uk – this website is the main database for ALL apprenticeships.
- Ensure you enter your postcode and select a large enough mileage distance to include London.
- Select your level of apprenticeship. Intermediate Level = no GCSE’s, Advanced Level = GCSE’s, Higher Level & Degree Level = A Levels and equivalents.
- Please note that leaving the level blank will ensure a broader sweep of opportunities to ensure you don’t miss anything.
- The apprenticeship vacancy will tell you how to apply. Some you apply directly to the employer, others you apply to the training provider who delivers the theoretical component of the qualification.
- You can search by keyword. For example ‘creative’ or ‘digital’ or ‘marketing’. This will search all apprenticeships advertised with this word.
careerfinder.ucas.com/searchjobs/ – this website lists apprenticeship opportunities.
ychertfordshire.org/careers/ – this website offers local apprenticeship and job opportunities as well as school leaver programmes to research.
allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk – this website gives great career advice and advertises school leaver vacancies and apprenticeships.
notgoingtouni – another good website for advice and informatoin
careermap – another general vacancy website.
apprenticeshipguide.co.uk – this website shows employers by sector and apprenticeships that are available by school subject.
https://www.hopinto.co.uk/ – local labour market information for Hertfordshire.
Enhance your employability and soft skills
Volunteering is a great way to develop your confidence and the skills that employers look for.
https://www.westhertshospitals.nhs.uk/joinourteam/volunteer.asp – volunteer at hospitals. 18+
Applying for jobs
How to apply for school leaver jobs-https://www.allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk/articles/article/33/school-leaver-application-tips
How to complete application forms-https://www.allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk/articles/article/283/how-to-fill-out-a-job-application-form
How to complete a CV and Covering Letter – https://www.allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk/articles/article/283/how-to-fill-out-a-job-application-form
For access to free practice tests visit