Supporting your Student with Career Planning
How best to support your child.
Career planning is based on a model.
Each phase of the process should inform and develop the next.
- Encourage your child to think about their strengths and interests.
- Reflect with your child on the interests and hobbies they and enjoy and why.
Explore Your Options
- Research subject areas and industry sectors and help your child to research current information on the labour market.
- Help your child to think how they learn best. Academic learning requires a lot of information recall. Other routes to professions are learnt ‘on the job’ or through a more modular structure which supports students who think practically and work best in the short term.
Develop Your Skills
- Encourage your child to get involved in clubs and activities at school.
- The house system at Roundwood Park offers opportunities for leadership and involvement in each year group.
- Volunteer and develop responsibilities in your hobbies.
- Help your child to develop an action plan to develop their skills or research their ideas.
- It is important to have a Plan A and a Plan B in achieving your career goals.
- If you would like to attend a careers interview with your child, please email firstname.lastname@example.org